Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Getting Ready for Thanksgiving Part 2 of 3

The kids and I made these super simple Thankful trees as a way to practice being thankful.

I got the idea from here

All you need:
1 piece white paper or cardstock
1 each of green, red, yellow, and orange paper
brown craft paint
marker or pen
glue
optional, paper towel or paintbrush

(I found a long time ago that instead of putting paint on a tray and having the kids make a huge mess, that it is easier to just paint the paint on their hands for projects.  I didn't have a paintbrush so I just used a paper towel.) 

First, dab brown paint on your child's arm from elbow to fingers.  Then have them spread their fingers far apart and then place it on the paper. Next, have your child pull straight up off of the paper and then go directly to the bathroom to wash their arms.

(I didn't, but this is a great project to do just before bathtime!)

Now comes the thoughtful part.  Cut leaves from the colored paper and ask your child to think about what they are thankful for.  I got great answers like cats, kittens, and dogs.  Our friend that did the project with us said he was thankful for his "sissies that play mario with me."  I just loved that answer.  If they are old enough they can write their thankfuls on the leaves themselves, if not, write it for them.  Then let them glue their leaves on the tree.

This was super simple and made for great conversation.



This would be so much fun to start on November 1st and have them add a leaf a day.  I also hope that we can start doing this every year.  Not only would their tree grow but I can't wait to hear how their thankfuls change year to year.

Let me know if you do this project!  I'd love to see your pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great. I really like the idea of doing it every year and watching the tree grow!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments family friendly and appropriate for the site. If you have major concerns please email directly so that we can address them in a timely manner. Thank you!